Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Student Art League



I never considered myself an artist, which is probably why I dropped out of the Graphic Design program after my first college semester, but I found myself revisiting the Myers School of Art in my last college semester. This time however I am fortunate enough to share my two art classes with the President of the Student Art League (SAL), Joey Augustyn.

SAL is open to all students enrolled at the university.

"It's a fun organization to build a better sense of community in the art school through fun programs, and just going to participate in art activities that one wouldn't normally do inside the classroom," said Augustyn.

There is much more to be experienced if you join SAL. When asked about what his favorite part of the group was Joey was not short with things to say. "My favorite part of the group is the activities that we plan and which the students get involved with. We hold a movie night every Thursday at 8:00, attend Tremont Art Hops in Cleveland, and every spring we go to New York City. We have SAL Art Shows once a semester in one of the honors galleries for students to exhibit their work."

To raise money for the group they sell coffee, coffee mugs, and t-shirts in the "slide library" right next to the Folk Hall Auditorium.

People can get involved through contact the SOuRCe, or checking out what SAL is about at our meetings every Tuesday and Wednesday at 12:30PM in Folk Hall Auditorium. You can check out their Facebook page, or they can contact: Joey Augustyn SAL President at jma60@zips.uakron.edu or Sarah Murphy SAL Vice President at slm90@zips.uakron.edu for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment